5.25.2011

Self Portrait: Day Forty


today i was a floral monstrosity,
the perfect hideaway for bears
and hearts

***

Today I’m a floral monstrosity, a firework garden of peony and azalea and daisy and narcissus.  Purple silky roses nip my ears and golden forget-me-nots crown my toes (but only an unadorned single diamond perches on my nose).  Primrose and foxglove and jasmine and hydrangea creep up my arms and hug my torso before gushing over my thighs like a thick cloud of amethyst purple and canary yellow and apricot orange and aquamarine blue and peacock green.  The scent of sweet cherry blossoms swim about my neck and wrists, fragrant reminders of both botanic summer whispers and infectious howls of laughter, thoughts that keep me sane when my legs threaten to whisk the rest of me away from here.  Inside my chest a brilliant bird of paradise erupts into a blossom, its sharp wings of poetry puncturing the doubt that wastes me.  Incessantly are petals crushed and stems cut short, but all I know is hearts that break can bloom into splendor and shame the living who are not really living.

No comments:

Post a Comment