8.03.2012

Skull Cut Out Top DIY



These shirts have become quite popular, and the great thing is that you don't have to actually go out and buy one to get in on this lil fashion phenomenon!  An Instagram pal taught me how to make my own, and I'm passing on this cutie DIY to you!

Enjoy!


I'd start with a shirt that doesn't really "work" for you; this way, not only will it not be a big loss if you mess up/don't like the final result, but you are transforming something you don't wear into something you will.  For example, I never wore this shirt because it was too long and poofed out in weird places.


Cut your shirt to length; remember, it's better to cut less at first because you can always cut more later, but you can't add back material you've cut!


Place a piece of cardboard inside the shirt to prevent cutting through both sides.  Turn the shirt over so that you are working with the back side.  Cut out two circles for eyes.  If your shirt is light enough, you can use pencil or marker to mark your cuts, but the great thing about this is that it's a skull, and it's funky, so it doesn't have to be perfect.  So I just eyeballed it, and I think it actually turned out cuter because it's not perfect.


Depending on what you like, cut out two little triangles or one larger triangle for the nose.  For the teeth, you're basically going to cut out two rows of squares below the nose.  Again, none of my cuts were perfect, but I think it gives the shirt a lot more character and uniqueness.


What a cutie, huh?  I think I'm going to name him...
Norman.

And I'm gonna wear the heck outta Norman.

Happy Skull-ifying!

No comments:

Post a Comment